We’re looking for a passionate Strategist with 2-3+ years of experience in the strategy discipline at a leading creative company, agency or brand. This role requires a strong blend of critical thinking, creative passion and brand-building smarts as well as a proactive, curious attitude. Here at VB+P, we believe the role of the Strategist is to be the supporter of both strategy and ideas which have Outsized Impact. You’ll see yourself as a creative/brand strategist with a curiosity for today’s culture and consumers, and be hungry for non-obvious human insights to help unlock opportunities for brands.
Key responsibilities include:
- Managing the day-to-day planning needs across accounts, supporting the Strategy Directors to bring added value to the strategic-creative process with cultural, consumer and category insights, demenstrating deep empathy with audiences.
- Translating your thinking into inspiring and clearly articulated strategies and tactical creative briefs, never settling for ‘good enough’.
- Partnering with cross-functional team members on process, team dynamics and client opportunities to drive the overall health of our client relationships.
- Partnering with the Head of Strategy, Group/Strategy Directors on new business opportunities, both learning from the experience and bringing new thinking to the story.
- Thinking proactively about our client’s business and driving trust with key clients.
- Bringing a healthy balance of rigor from research, drive to push past the obvious answers, and energy to collaborate with the entire team to create world-class ideas.
Here is what the day-to-day looks like:
- Check in with your Strategy Director on progress, workflow and how you can develop further proactivity.
- Check in with your account leads and creatives on the overall progress of upcoming and existing briefs in the system, identify areas where strategic influence is needed.
- Check in with key clients as necessary: Is there more context needed for a brief? Have all the right voices been heard? Is a preview necessary?
- Review creative, providing guidance and feedback with generosity.
- Synthesize client research and/or using agency resources, e.g. YouGov to create robust findings from data which you bring to life in a meaningful way.
- Be a cultural ambassador within the strategy group by sharing things of interest to the team and developing a healthy discussion about those opportunities.
Below are some of the qualifications we’re interested in. If you don’t meet all of them, don’t count yourself out.
- Experience leading and launching breakthrough campaigns in creatively led agencies
- Brand positioning development
- Sharp qualitative research and quantitative data analysis fundamentals
- A growth mindset and a willingness to learn how to lead
- Ability to build rapport and relationships with all clients.
- A sense of presence in the room with clients, including senior clients.
Within 1 month you will:
- Complete on-boarding with our Talent Team. - They will bring you up to speed on VB+P’s benefits, perks and culture.
- Complete on-boarding with Head of Strategy. - They will walk you through VB+P’s Strategy Department Vision, department roles and responsibilities, positioning process, client fundamentals and provide you with the necessary background on all elements of the role.
- Meet with all departments you will interact with in the context of your role. - A representative from each department will walk you through the role they play with respect to new business/marketing and the process to engage them.
- Have introductory meetings with at minimum 5 people in leadership at VB+P. - This is part of our “welcome” process, to ensure that you are getting a chance to meet people and to ask questions.
Within 3 months you will:
- Gain the trust of the Strategy Director on your team, cross-functional counterparts and clients that you partner with
- Assess areas of growth and opportunity on your team: What are ways you’d like to influence the ways of working that can lead to better outcomes?
- Present opportunity areas and operational plan to Head of Strategy and Business Leads
- Develop a strong mentorship with Junior Strategist and Strategy Interns
Within 6 months you will:
- Drive strategic excellence, innovation and integration on both of your accounts
- Upskill the Strategist on your team, coaching and inspiring along the way
- Identify 2-3 proactive strategic opportunities that lead to new creative briefs
- Gain a greater understanding of what great work is and be familiar with what it takes to develop it
Within 12 months you will:
- Be seen as a strategic force by the department, your clients and agency leadership
- Own the client relationship on both of your accounts, with high-level oversight from Head of Strategy/Group Strategy Directors
- Scale up and take on a larger support team
Ask as many questions as possible – we are here to help.
- At Venables Bell + Partners, we celebrate and support our differences. We know building a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our work and our community to flourish. VB+P is an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any protected class or social identity. We value equity here at VB+P as much as equality.