Group Strategy Director
We are looking for a strategic leader who can push the creativity and innovation of our strategy group to a new level. The Group Strategy Director will be a leader on our two most creative accounts and a leader among the brand strategy group. This is a management role that requires proven experience growing junior and senior level talent.
Key responsibilities include:
- Setting the strategic vision and defining ways of working among the strategy team with cross-functional discipline leads
- Growing and mentoring a strategy directors, senior strategists and strategists on both client teams and new business initiatives
- Partnering with cross-functional leads on process, team dynamics and client opportunities to drive the overall health of your accounts, financially and culturally
- Partnering with the Head of Strategy on new business opportunities, working within our proprietary positioning framework
- Proactively identifying and capturing organic growth opportunities Developing and maintaining C-Suite client relationships
- Orchestrating cross-disciplinary collaboration in the strategy department, setting the stage for brand, comms strategy and data strategy to drive new value through collaboration
- Partnering with senior agency leadership on key agency initiatives such as productization, cultural initiatives and growth plans
- Driving strategic excellence and setting the standard for what strategy can be at the agency, becoming the example younger team members aspire to be
Here is what the day-to-day looks like:
- Check in with your strategist on progress, workflow and general well being, providing direction, feedback and coaching as needed
- Check in with your business lead and creative directors on the overall progress of upcoming and existing briefs in the system, identify areas where strategic influence is needed
- Check in with key clients as necessary: is there more context needed for a brief? Have all the right voices been heard? Is a preview necessary?
- Check in on strategic and creative presentation progress and provide key input to push the insightfulness, rigor and clarity of the work
- Check in with business leads on overall health of the account and team, identifying areas that will require strategic influence
- Overseeing a team of strategists on a new business pitch while partnering with the head of strategy on the overall vision of the pitch
- Connect 1:1 with key senior client leadership
Below are some of the qualifications we’re interested in. If you don’t meet all of them, don’t count yourself out.
- Experience leading and/or creating cross-disciplinary strategy teams
- Experience managing one or more strategists into promotions
- Experience leading and launching breakthrough campaigns in creatively-led agencies
- Upstream experience a plus, but not a must
- 4C’s positioning development
- IA T/IMC agency orchestration leadership experience
- Sharp qualitative research and quantitative data analysis fundamentals
- A growth mindset and a strong desire to lead people
- Ability to build rapport and relationships with C-Suite clients
- A sense of presence in the room with senior clients
Within 1 month you will:
- Complete on-boarding with our Talent Team -They will bring you up to speed onVB+P’s benefits, perks and culture.
- Complete on-boarding with Head of Strategy, Audi and New Business team -They will walk you through VB+P’sStrategy Department Vision, Department Roles and Responsibilities, New Business Process, Client fundamentals and provide you with the necessary background on all elements of the role.
- Meet with all departments you will interact with in the context of your role.- A representative from each department will walk you through the role they play with respect to new business/marketing and the process to engage them.
- Have introductory meetings with at minimum 5 people in leadership at VB+P. - This is par to four “welcome” process, to ensure that you are getting a chance to meet people and to ask questions.
Within 3 months you will:
- Gain the trust of the strategists, cross-functional counterparts and clients that you lead
- Asses areas of growth and opportunity on the your team: process, ways of working, team structure, strategic integration, organic growth, etc.
- Present areas opportunity areas and operational plan to Head of Strategy and Business Leads
- Asses areas of growth and opportunity for each strategist you lead and present growth implementation plan to Head of Strategy
Within 6 months you will:
- Drive strategic excellence and efficiencies on client accounts
- Establish relationships with strategic and creative counterparts at partner agencies
- Become a new business leader capable of leading strategic creds presentations, chemistry sessions and final presentations
- Establish yourself as a member of the agency leadership group
Within 12 months you will:
- Mentor and coach at least one strategist into a promotion
- Be seen by your client CMO as the account’s strategic leader, responsible for driving strategic excellence
- Lead new business pitches, top to tail, with minimal oversight from Head of Strategy
Ask as many questions as possible – we are here to help.
- At Venables Bell + Partners, we celebrate and support our differences. We know building a team rich in diverse thoughts, experiences, and opinions allows our employees, our work and our community to flourish. VB+P is an equal opportunity workplace. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, socio-economic status, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran status, or any protected class or social identity. We value equity here at VB+P as much as equality.